Sunday, April 19, 2009

Spring Break


We had a great Spring Break these last two weeks. I'm sad that the girls have to go back to school tomorrow, but it will be nice to have some sort of routine again. The first week we got to go to the Getty Museum in LA. I loved the architecture and the garden tour was very nice. Kirsten and her kids came, too, as well as Else and Haans, Tyson and Esther. It was great, but a little exhausting. Especially trying to keep tabs on Wyatt when we went into the West Pavilion to look at the impressionist artwork. What a burden it would be to have too much money!
Some "kangaroo pods" in the garden that I thought looked cool up against the roman stone in the background.

Easter was nice with a dinner and egg hunt at my parents home. Kirsten and I made these really cute cupcakes that had banana and crushed pineapple in them with cream cheese frosting, green died coconut on top and candy covered Hershey eggs that Kirsten decorated to look like little chicks. They were really yummy!



Wyatt is trying to make Luke look at the camera. Thanks, Luke, for putting up with Wyatt!Aunt Gayle wanted this picture of us since she, my mom and Aunt Anna had a similar one when Jacob, Candace and Christian were about this age or younger, I think.


The girls and I also got to see the Hannah Montana movie which I really enjoyed. It was not annoying like the TV show, but cute, clean, silly and fun. The music was great as well.
This last week we went camping in the desert and went dirt bike riding. Thanks to Cristin for watching our boys and Jerm's parents for taking the girls on a ride, Jeremy and I got to make a date out of a ride we went one. We took a trail that headed us north west of our camp towards a place called Jawbone. It took us through a flock of sheep and across some really cool sand dunes that were so clean, there were no other tracks on them. It was so interesting to see the sand drifted like that over the trail. It reminded me of snow. The only downer about this kind of date is that you don't really get to talk to each other unless you stop. But I had a good time and Jeremy is very patient with my riding. I even took this jump where I felt kind of like Miss Piggy as she jumped a motorcycle through a glass window in the Great Muppet Caper, except I went through a bush! I even had branches stuck in my goggle strap! It was pretty funny.

Cozette really took to riding her little 50 this trip. She asked Jerm to ride it and off she went. He taught her how to shift and she would frequent 2nd and 3rd gears. She's not afraid to turn or anything and even liked going over the whoops. Atalie had fun on the ATC and riding in her Nana's buggy. We had a little incident with that: Cozette was driving the buggy with her cousin Audrey in it. Atalie was riding a bicycle on the rode and got nervous as Cozette was coming up on her. Atalie turned around to tell Cozette to slow down, but somehow jerked the handle bars making herself fall right in the road, right in the way of the buggy. Sure enough, thump, thump, Cozette ran her over. When Hans came running back to tell me, I didn't believe it at first, you know how kids get dramatic, but Cozette lovingly had picked her up and put her in the buggy. I was pretty angry at Cozette because I didn't understand what had happened. I drove Atalie back and brought her in to the trailer where Brian was packing to go. Since he is a fireman, he was able to check her out and clean her scratches. We didn't really know the extent of her injuries because she had some scratches on her back and knee and her denim shorts were totally ripped in the back, to the point where I have to throw them away. She was so distraught and hysterical, but eventually she calmed down and we realized nothing was broken or squished. I'm going to take her to the chiropractor tomorrow just to be sure. She is acting just fine and I am so grateful for the guardian angels that surround my kids! I guess I go into survival mode because I don't dwell too much on what could have happened. I am so glad that it wasn't worse and there doesn't seem to be any permanent damage!
Kirsten on my bike. She did great! Jeremy was very impressed with how well she rode!
Cristin and her boys in the buggy.

Scotty on his first long ride. It's pretty scary riding through sand when you are alone, but put a baby or a child with you and it's even scarier! But we made it just fine. He even dropped his pacifier once, but Atalie and Jason stopped to pick it up, then his hat flew off and Jeremy and Wyatt picked it up.

So we are home now and trying to get through mounds of dirty laundry from the desert and eating off what we have in the house. Since I didn't make it to the store in time yesterday, we had to bust open some rice milk to eat with this morning. I would much rather have that than canned milk or dry milk.

Anyway, enjoy the pictures and I'm going to see if the videos from my new camera work! Have a great week!

3 comments:

Cristin said...

Wow, I can't believe you took Scotty riding! You are brave and very confident in your skills. I would be so afraid, but I'm a wuss when it comes to things like that.

Else said...

I am sure no one can top my amazing bike skills. That's why they still talk about that one time... it's because I was so amazingly good at it.

Debbie said...

Who cares about the riding??? You look SUPER CUTE in your PINK outfit!