Our favorite little chicken Daisy passed away this morning. She was our favorite due to her big personality. She would follow us around and was a very social little chicken. She didn't mind at all when the kids would pick her up and hold her. Last month, I built them a little penned in area so that I could take my garden back over. They were eating all the little plants in my garden. I could tell she wasn't doing that well, not getting the food she needed to get due to her crooked beak. Even in a month, she declined rapidly and her right eye was kind of getting a little smooshed by her crooked face. Poor thing. She was still so sweet to the end. She hadn't been as responsive and just seemed to be getting weaker by the day. We tried special containers so that she could scoop out the food, but she still wasn't getting enough. Yesterday I even tried to out some right in her mouth for her, but it kept falling out. This morning when I looked out the window, as I do every morning to check on them, she was just lying there on the bottom of the cage. I went out to see if she was gone, but she was still alive. I brought her in and just held her to me while we had scripture time. The girls and I were a wreck, tears coming down as we tried to read about death and the resurrection in Mosiah. Wyatt and Scotty kept stroking her soft white feathers and talking to her. After scriptures, I gave her to Atalie and Cozette to hold until they needed to get things ready for school. We laid her down on a towel and covered her with another towel in our living room and got ready. Right before we all left for school, we could see that her eyes were open and we all said goodbye to her and that we loved her. She gave a last little shutter and was gone. We'll bury her later today when all the kids get home from school. I'm sure this all sounds really silly since she was just a chicken, but having her since birth and watching her grow and her sweet little personality, you couldn't help but love her. Every time Cozette would open the cage to feed them, Daisy would launch straight for Cozette's head and just sit there. She'd do that to me as well. She just loved us! We will miss you sweet Daisy!
2 comments:
Oh, no! Poor Daisy. Hope you guys cope with the loss.
She is in chicken heaven! That was a sweet post. Thanks for sharing. So wonderful (and sad) for your children to have that experience. It will help them will all kinds of experiences with life and death. You are such a good mommy!!!!
Post a Comment