Sunday, January 20, 2013

2012 Recap

I have been thinking about our year and wanting to recap it in one place, but I'm having trouble even remembering what I did yesterday, let alone a whole year ago.  Last January, Jeremy decided to take an anatomy class to maybe go in to nursing school.  Needless to say, through a lot of hard work and studying while working full time, holding down a weekly scouting calling and being a dad/husband, he managed to get a C in the class.  And yes, he was relieved and happy about it.  Of course he would have liked to do better, but was satisfied with it.

We were able to take a trip to Italy this year, which was definitely a highlight.  We loved being immersed in the Italian culture and getting out of our comfort zone a bit.  We had an answer to prayer while we were over there: Jeremy was a bit nervous to go to church, wondering if there would be anyone to translate for us.  We had a little prayer before we went, almost didn't find it and when we went up into this humble little chapel, there were the missionaries, ready to translate for us! One of them, Elder Green from Palm Springs, had the thought that he would be translating for someone today!
We had a great spiritual feast with these dedicated Italian members.  The closest temple for them was a day or two bus ride away.  It made us realize how easy we have it with some things.
Jeremy is still with Verizon and enjoys it for the most part. He loved his scouting calling, but got released when they officially put me into Young Womens as the Mia Maid advisor.  Now he teaches Sunday School for the 14-15 year olds in our ward and loves it.  We are both teaching the same age group and they are good kids with a lot to offer. Jerm loves to spend time with his family and tries to ride his dirt bike as much as possible.  Truly his passion. Did I mention he loves volleyball, too!


Cozette (12) started the seventh grade this fall after a fun summer of Carpinteria, beach days, lots of swimming, Just Dance parties.  She was a couple weeks shy of turning twelve to be able to go to camp this year, but she is super excited for this upcoming year.  Cozette is a good student and loves to play the piano as well.  She LOVES children and really likes babies and babysitting for other people as well as her own siblings.  We love that she has this gift and enjoys sharing it.

Atalie (10) is now in the fifth grade and is a super student.  She is pretty fluent in Spanish and often helps Cozette with her homework.  She was on the Super Quiz team this last year as part of the Camarillo Academic Olympics.  It was fun to watch her team work together and answer the questions.  They studied out of this book called Earth Matters by DK publishing. A great book for any collection.  She is good at babysitting also and loves to do crafts, sew, play the piano and dance.
 
Wyatt (7) is in the first grade and is doing well.  We've had a few hiccups with a little bit of misbehavior, but he is a fun loving, rough and tumble boy full of life.  He LOVED soccer this year, especially since his mom was his coach this year! That was interesting for me, but I have learned a lot.  Wyatt loves to play with legos, explore outside, ride his bike and dirt bike.  In fact, he lives in his riding gear anytime we go camping and is on his bike from first thing in the morning until it gets dark.  I think he wishes he had a light on his bike so he could go at night. His Daddy is very proud.  All the kids love to ride, and that makes Jeremy really happy.

Scotty (4) is loving preschool this year.  We loves to ride his bike (never used training wheels thanks to his Strider bike) with me to take the other kids to school in the morning and watch movies or play games on the itouch while I'm coaching or working out at cross fit.  He is a sweet boy and definitely a mamas boy, but loves to help daddy in the garage or out in the yard.  He loves to read books with me and go to Gramp's store and get a treat, which usually equals about five treats. We also had a lot of fun going to Disneyland, just me and Scotty and sometimes Aunt Kirsten and Elina, Gramma and Gramps. Although we did take Wyatt for his birthday, too!

I still am running and working out at cross fit.  I do some book keeping for my dad and teach a few piano lessons.  This year I actually got a real piano teacher for my own kids and I LOVE IT!! She is great and the girls practice and are learning much more then me trying to teach them with not steady lessons each week.  I love to work out in the yard and read and have read some great books this year including Unbroken.  I continue to try and not get stressed and balance everything I need to do with what I want to do.  I have learned to love my kids more as well as learned how to enjoy other children more thanks to working in the nursery for a few months at the beginning of the year.  I loved it!  At first I wasn't so sure, but I really feel I have grown this year.  I coached Wyatt's soccer team which was also a learning experience, but a good one, thanks to having great parents on my team.  I also learned that when I get stressed, I turn into a crazy monster and that I need to slow down.  When I take the time to read my scriptures and take care of my Holy Habits every day, I am much happier and less stressed.  Time is marching on more quickly then I'd like, but we are all enjoying the ride and looking forward to a new year with more learning and adventures.

 



1 comment:

Camille said...

I love your update on your year! You guys have been busy. And you look great!!!! How fun for the 2 of you to go to Italy together. What an amazing experience, I'm sure!! I can't believe how big your girls are...I remember when you had Atalie...and now she is 10?!?! Wow!!! So glad you guys are doing well!!