Monday, June 23, 2008

My Brother the Fire Fighter


I believe that there are only a few times in someone’s life when you just feel overwhelmed with pride on behalf of someone else. I am not talking about “one of the best days of your life” like getting married or having a child, but rather a huge sense of accomplishment on behalf of someone else and the great feeling that comes because you are lucky enough to be a part of their life. Well, this is the first time in my life, so far, that I have felt that. You see, my brother Brian, is officially a Fire Fighter/EMT for the city of Tucson, AZ.
I was able to attend his graduation ceremony on Thursday 6/19 and Friday 6/20. I would believe that most of you that read this blog know Brian and the kind of person he is. Brian has a huge heart and doesn’t have an enemy in the world. If for some reason you don’t like Brian, there is something seriously wrong with you. Brian is a carefree soul yet a great friend to many and will be there to help you out in a jam. (Why do I feel like I am writing an obituary here?!)
Those who are going to be working with him will realize quickly that he is loyal and will have your back in whatever you do. You are lucky to have such a friend. I have always looked up to my little brother (literally and figuratively) and have even more of a reason to do so now.
I think one of the reason’s I am so proud of him is that he is so passionate about everything he does; he seems to want to do everything! It seemed for a few years that he had a new passion about a career every few weeks. I will be honest and say I was a little worried about him for a while, yet at the same time a little jealous because I don’t have that passion towards any career. Except for maybe a few years ago, when I was intent on being a fire fighter myself and realizing it was too late for me because I wouldn’t be able to care of my family if I did (no regrets!). So, for him to follow through on this was a real big deal, especially because he has been working at it so hard for at least the last year or so. He went through EMT training, community college fire academy, and then was blessed enough to get hired his first time through for TFD (22 week academy). I understand that even in Arizona it takes three to four times through the tests before they will hire you and he got through on his first try!
So here’s to my little brother the Fire Fighter! Good luck bro and be safe!
(I finally got a picture up, too bad it's really dark. Brian is in his uniform and has his badge on his left side. The badge is a lot heavier than it looks!)

6 comments:

Cristin said...

That really is wonderful. I am so happy for Brian!

Melissa said...

Yeah for Brain!!! He is a great person!! Glad you did an update on him. I didn't know what he was up to.

Mark and Aupreille said...

We are so proud of Brian and your entry was wonderful and perfect. Brian truly does have a heart of gold!

Erin said...

I am proud of ol' Budd myself. Brian isn't an emotional person, but to hear him speak of crying as he was shaking all of the Captain's hands after receiving his TFD Badge, is wonderful. I enjoyed your entry. You are such a far better writer than I.

Debi Lassen said...

Nice entry about Brian. I agree, he has such a kind heart. I'm thankful to know him. Congratulations on this great accomplishment, Brian. Best wishes and as Jeremy said,"be safe".
Nice post, Jeremy...I'll look forward to a picture.
mom lassen

nance said...

Being mom to Jeremy AND Brian, I am very proud of both of them (as well as Erin)! It just doesn't get much better than having a firefighter son.....so passionate about a very service-oriented and live-saving profession. He had to work hard to be where he is. But no less impressive are the character traits of brother Jeremy: integrity, compassion, loving, caring, humility, pride (the good kind!), hard-working, etc., etc. Not to mention a previously-unknown-to-me talent for writing! Dang, Jer'm! You've got skills! Your blurb about Budd was very impressively written! Is there anywhere in Verizon to go where you'd be PAID for your writing skills?!