Sunday, August 7, 2016

Nauvoo- Beautiful City

We LOVED Nauvoo!! We got into Nauvoo right at sunset where we met my parents for a quick dinner and ran up (literally) to the outdoor stage and got to see BYU's Vocal Point. They were so fun and it was nice to have some great entertainment after a lot of driving! We enjoyed Independence and the start of our church history tour there. We worked our way through Missouri, stopping to look at Far West where the saints laid cornerstones for a temple but were not able to build one due to so much persecution. We then went to Adam-Ondi-Ahman and loved walking around there and seeing more corn and soy fields.
 
This is a rebuild of Liberty Jail. Joseph Smith was in here for four and half months and endured so much grief and struggle in there. I love the revelations he received in there, especially Doctrine and Covenants 12:7-8 which says, "My son, peace be unto thy soul; thine adversity and thine afflictions shall be but a small moment; And then, if thou endure it well, God shall exalt thee on high; thou shalt triumph over all thy foes."  We all will have adversity and for me, this day, was my adversity. Satan was really working hard on me to be grumpy and moody to ruin the spirit we all felt at these wonderful sites. I'm so thankful for prayer and thankful I didn't ruin anything by my hormones and icky feelings that I was fighting. Heavenly Father is so loving and hears my prayers. That's the only way I was able to get through it. 


These pictures are from Adam-ondi-Ahman. Such a beautiful place.

    

BYU Vocal Point #byuvocalpoint was awesome!! I especially loved their medley of songs from Newsies. We found out one of them is cousins with my Flake cousins in Snowflake.
We saw lightning bugs in Nauvoo as we were watching the concert. Then we found our campsite about a mile away from Nauvoo and slept really well.

           

The kids loved riding around Nauvoo in the back of Pappy's truck! You won't see that in California. I know I'm skipping a lot of details, but for sack of not staying up until midnight, I am giving the abbreviated versions. But I do want to say that just pulling into Nauvoo, we felt the spirit immediatly. It reminded me of being on campus at BYU. We had an appointment on Thursday morning to do baptisms for the dead at the Nauvoo temple. When I came to Nauvoo about 22 years ago, when I was 14, the temple was not there and so were most of the other things to do. The baptisms were special because they were for family names that I found on my Mother in laws side. Cozette was also able to get baptized and confirmed for Nancy's aunt. We all wept when that took place and felt that she was very happy with this work. I'm so thankful to be able to do that with our kids. Even though the boys didn't get to come in, they were outside waiting for us and looking forward for the day they are old enough to go in and help do work for the dead.

Here are some of the activities we got to do in Nauvoo after we rented some bikes. That was the best way to get around even though it was hot! We went to Lucy Mack Smith's home, the Brickyard, Mansion House and Cemetery, Pioneer living center where we got to make rope, eat bread, learn how to dip candles and make barrels.   When then went to the visitor's center and watched "The Promise."

Scotty was in the kids parade during Sunset on the Mississippi. All the shows were put on by the Young Performing Missionaries and they were soooo good! The show we loved was called The Promise. These young adults were amazing and truly carried the spirit with them. I did not have dry eyes at the end and even talking to sweet Sister Speakman afterward, I could barely talk. 
              
Our biker gang cracked me up, especially when Atalie was singing, "They see me rollin'..."

These missionaries were so fun! Even though some did not have experience doing things like being a blacksmith, they still gave of their time and love and were willing to learn how to do those things to help educate all of us.
Wyatt's "poncho" for when it poured rain on us Thursday night. There was tons of lighting and thunder, huge rain drops and we even heard the lighting hit the ground! That scared me so badly!! But it was awesome. 
Scotty gets himself in the finniest sleeping positions! Jeremy even saved him from falling off the bed one night. 

No comments: