Saturday, August 13, 2016

Niagara and Palmyra Day #1

After getting into our RV park late on Monday night, we slept super well and slept in. It was much needed. This trip is super fun but very tiring with all the driving, spirituality and late nights, we have worn ourselves out in the best way. Everyone enjoyed the morning at our RV park with a quick family workout, pancakes for breakfast, nice showers and the kids getting to do a long zip line over a pond, we were ready to head out to Niagara Falls. It was only about ten minutes away and after parking the RV, we rode the trolley (costs a couple dollars each) over to the Maid of the Mist terminal. This was worth every penny! The blue rain ponchos are hilarious and it was a warm day, so of course we put them on to get ready and they are sticking to our sweaty bodies like Saran wrap! We definitely needed the ponchos, though because it wasn't Maid of the Mist, it was rain of the mist!
Atalie just hanging out in the RV. The kids were watching Mulan and cracking up at Mushu the dragon. I love hearing them laugh. 
  

We viewed the waterfall from as many angles as we could then decided to head back to the RV for some lunch and then go on to Palmyra. It was about a two hour drive from the falls. We did not want to rush our Sacred Grove experience and were going to wait for the morning, but we decided we had enough time that afternoon to go tour it.

We started at the Visitor's Center where this sweet sister missionary who was from the Dominican Republic was our guide. She had a pretty thick accent but did really well with her English. Besides the Sacred Grove, I loved the log home we were able to go into. It was a reconstruction of the one the Smith's had lived in, but it had a great spirit to it. Especially the upstairs where Moroni would've appeared to Joseph three times in one night! Can you imagine being visited by an angel three times?

The sister gave us time up there to share our testimonies of the Book of Mormon and my father in law shared the way he received his testimony through study and prayer. He received it at a pivotal time in his life and shared with us a story about him in the MTC and how they weren't going to let him keep going on his mission until he said he "knew" that Joseph Smith was a prophet. He said he believed he was a prophet but he wasn't going to say that he knew until he did know. He met with his mission president who helped him to understand that if he had a testimony of the Book of Mormon, then he should have one of Joseph Smith as well. They go hand in hand. I'm so thankful for a faithful father in law who shared with us how he received his own testimony. I hope our kids will understand that it takes work and effort to gain a testimony and that it is necessary for us to do that.

After the log home, we went to the bigger house and heard stories of places Joseph hid the gold plates from people who were trying to steal from him. The Lord promised him that if he did all he could to keep the plates safe, then he would help him. Miraculously, the plates were never found by the enemy. The outside of the home was beautiful with a vegetable garden out back along with the barn and cooper shops.  We looked around and then headed into the Sacred Grove. I had prayed earlier and fasted twice for this trip to be meaningful to our kids and to help all of us strengthen our testimonies of Joseph Smith and the Book of Mormon. I know for me, when I was 14 and my parents took me on a similar journey with my siblings, it was very impactful. I know that Joseph Smith is a prophet. Why would he go through all he did if this wasn't the true gospel? He wasn't perfect, but the Lord kept working with him and training him and that's what he does for us. That how He helps us become who he wants us to if we let him. I have felt his love so many times on this trip and I truly hope my children have as well. I know Jeremy has also and I'm so thankful we could experience these things as a whole family. I know I haven't been the most pleasant person on this trip, but I sure am trying and I know Jeremy is to to make it the best trip we can.

My best friend. I know I don't always show it and I tend to get grumpy when I'm hot and tired, but I love this man so much. We would not be as comfortable and happy if it wasn't for him and all his hard work. 
"I have a family here on earth. They are so good to me!"
Our kids and both sets of grandparents! How cool is that that they get to travel with them!
Scotty's art with some leaves and flowers from the Sacred Grove. 





        
                     

Looking out the back door of the log home toward the Sacred Grove. 
When we found our way out of the Sacred Grove (we caught a couple cute frogs in there), we headed to town to get some much needed food. We ate at the Chill and Grill that served ginormous portions of hamburgers, fries and huge scoops of ice cream! A half a kiddie cone still was two scoops! We ate outside in front of the restaurant and there were a TON of orb spiders dangling from the nights and going to work on their webs. Some of that work entailed them dropping down every so often towards our heads and causing us to squeal in fright! It was quite funny but we finished eating quickly and ran over to the grocery store to get more food for later.
Our stay for the night was at the local fair grounds but of course no one was there to meet us and show us where to go, but we eventually found the right spot, hooked up and went to bed. Jeremy and I both woke up at some point to rain hammering on the rood of the RV and lightning. I sure do love these storms!

*sorry for any typos, I'm not taking time to proof read since I am so tired and just happy to get something one here!

1 comment:

Else said...

Love hearing about your trip! Miss you